E.B.Models

E.B.Models

E.B.Models

Home Price List Ex Craven Singles Belgravia Class Stroudley Singles D2 Class C Class C1 Class Tenders E3 Radials 18/21 Tanks Loco Parts W-Irons Carriages Signals Miscellaneous Richmond Class Information

The Stroudley singles formed the final design of single wheeler for the LB&SCR  Stroudley introduced Grosvenor first, in 1874, with a 4’ 5” boiler, 17” X 24” cylinders, and 6’ 9” driving wheels. It was truly a stately and powerful single.

4mm Prices : -


Locomotive Kit £60


Tender Kit        £50


7mm Prices (Etches only):


Locomotive Kit £90


Tender Kit        £50


P&P extra at cost


The locomotive kit comes in three versions to build either: -



The required version must be specified when ordering.

Later, in 1877, he built Abergavenny, which went to the other extreme, with smaller cylinders of 16” x 22” and a 4’ 3” diameter boiler - also seen on the D2 and Richmond Classes.  Available power was significantly less.

The Stroudley Singles Express Passenger Locomotives

Top Home

Note that Grosvenor appeared initially with a Craven large tender, and then later with a Stroudley outside frame tender, both while it was still carrying its original number of 151.  After renumbering to 326 in December 1880, it carried a Stroudley outside frame tender.


The small single No 325 “Abergavenny” with a Stroudley inside frame tender.

The kit is available with original parallel-sided smokebox wingplate, as seen on the right, as well as the later, and more usual, reverse-curve shape as used on the G class.

Standard G single class No. 334 “Hurstmonceux” with a Stroudley inside frame tender.

Stroudley finalised the design by building 24 of what became the ‘production’ model in 1880.  These were known as the G class, with larger cylinders, 17” X 24”, but with a boiler having the same diameter as Abergavenny.  Other amendments included a slightly longer rear wheelbase (7’ 11” instead of 7’ 9”).  The class had Stroudley inside framed tenders from new.


Despite the single driving wheels, these locomotives gave stalwart service for many years over the Portsmouth route, despite considerable variation in topography and the resultant heavy gradients.  Their demise came with Douglas Earle Marsh, who decided that more powerful locos were required for the needs of the 20th Century.