Ex Craven Singles
The first 6, built in 1882, carried numbers 421-426, with the second batch, numbers 427-432, being built between 1884-7. The later batch had an air reversing cylinder attached to the reversing wheel and screw, and the reversing rod was fully exposed outside the firebox lagging. Later survivors saw a change of smokebox door to one with longer hinges.
All the C1’s were built with Westinghouse brakes operating on the rear two axles, along with a larger cab and under-slung boiler feed clacks.
The first batch was fitted with Stroudley outside frame tenders holding 2550 gallons and 4 tons of coal, which had originally been used by the “Richmond” class. The second batch also received second-hand tenders, this time from the D2 class plus the singles Grosvenor and Abergavenny. An important point to remember is that there was a continual change of tenders throughout and between the C and C1 classes as they passed through the works, limited only by the requirement for Westinghouse brake compatibility.
Withdrawal began in 1907 and was largely complete by 1911, though the final two C1s lasted until 1920 and 1924 respectively.